Brisbane Pride is one of my favourite times of the year. It’s loud, it’s proud and it’s wonderfully colourful.
Usually, my wife and I travel down for the weekend, walk in the march to Newfarm Park and then spend the day wandering around eating, checking out stalls, catching up with our city friends, eating, listening to music and watching the drag queens, eating … you get the picture.
At last year’s Fair Day, I met a wonderful author, Lesley Dimmock, who had a stall at Fair Day selling her books. Since then, we’ve become firm friends and had a stall together at the Sunshine Coast Pride Fair where we had a lot of fun meeting people who had no idea lesbian authors even existed in Australia. (I know, right! Turns out, there are HEAPS of us).
It’s no surprise, then, that Lesley and I decided to team up again and have another Author Booth stall at Brisbane Pride Fair Day this year, which is happening at Newfarm Park on Saturday the 22nd September, from 11.00am-6.00pm.
Lesley and I have been working away on some cool things for the stall this year, and we’ve called on some other Aussie lesfic authors to help us out.
What can you expect?
- Freebies! We’ve curated a freebie bag that contains free ebooks from some fantastic Aussie lesfic authors as well as stickers, bookmarks and other cool stuff.
- Books! Lesley and I will, of course, be selling our own books.
- Giveaway! We have a brand-spanking-new Aussie and Kiwi Lesfic Reader and Author group we’d love you to check out, and if you sign up for the mailing list during Pride, you go into the draw to win some really cool prizes.
- Red Frogs! Seriously, Lesley can’t get through the day without at least 20 of them, so there will be a HUGE bowl of red frogs
to lure you infor you to eat for some extra sustenance. It’s a huge day – trust me, you’ll need them.
- Authors! Last but not least, Lesley and I will be there and would love to chat to you about books (ours and in general) and about lesbian fiction and what we’re doing to promote it.
As an added bonus this year, Rainbow Families Qld has asked me to do a reading at their Young, Out and Proud event being held at the Where the Wild Things Are Bookshop at West End on Friday 21st September, 4.00pm-6.00pm. Rainbow Families Qld provides some wonderful advocacy and support services for LGBTIQ+ families and since I know some fantastic rainbow families myself, I want to support them as much as I can.
Which is why $5 from each of my novels ordered directly from my site before the 14th September (excluding Written in the Stars) will be donated to Rainbow Families Qld when you use the magic word in your checkout.
As an added bonus, everyone who purchases any of the Girls of Summer books (Crush, After Summer and Written in the Stars) or the Alice Henderson books (Alice Henderson On Debut and Alice Henderson Makes the Grade) will get a bonus swag pack containing:
- book series stickers
- bookmarks, including one handmade by me!
- codes to download the ebook copies of the book(s) for you to keep or give to a friend
Want to find out more about that offer? Head over to the Rainbow Families Pride Special Page for more info. Hint: that’s also where you’ll find the magic word to get your swag.
And if you haven’t already, now would be a great time to give me a follow on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. I’ll be posting pics and updates from Pride weekend and those are the places you’ll find them.